The 26th annual Sasol Secunda Grade 12 Merit Awards ceremony took place on Friday, 5 March 2021 where dedicated 2020 Grade 12 learners and educators from schools in 13 circuits in Mpumalanga and Kwa-Zulu Natal were celebrated for their outstanding achievements.
Recognition was given to learners who achieved three to seven distinctions in various subjects and performed exceptionally well amid the challenging circumstances they were learning under due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sasol further recognised the dedicated educators through whose efforts these talented learners could reap their accolades.
This year’s Sasol Secunda Grade 12 Merit Awards award ceremony recognised the following categories:
• Overall best performing school
• Best performing educators
• Best educator in Mathematics and Physical Science
• Overall top achievers from quintile 1-3 schools (non-fee schools) & quintile 4 schools
• Top achiever learners from Sasol Osizweni supported schools
• 2020 most improved school from Sasol Osizweni supported schools
• Top achievers in Mathematics & Physical Science from Sasol Osizweni supported schools
• Top achievers for learners who obtained 3 to 7 distinctions
• Overall top achievers
Some of the top achievers celebrated at the Sasol Secunda Grade 12 Awards
“Sasol is committed to the transformation of the communities near our operations and views education as an enabler to improving the lives of people in these communities. Throughout the years, Sasol has prioritised investing in education through various interventions such as providing bursaries to institutions of higher learning, infrastructure support to schools and Early Childhood Development (ECD) centres in the form of mobile classrooms, classroom refurbishment and mobile science laboratories to name a few” said Simon Baloyi, Senior Vice President Regional Operations & Asset Services.
“Today we are investing in the future of these learners with a contribution towards their further education. Each learner is awarded R1000 per distinction. Another R10 000 is awarded to learners who have achieved level 6+ in Mathematics and Physical Science. This prize money will be paid directly to the institution of higher learning of their choice to assist towards tuition fees” he concluded.
Read more about our commitment to our fence-line communities here.